Counselling and Psychotherapy can be of great support in times of crisis or change. It involves the provision of professional assistance to people who are experiencing personal issues, in order to help alleviate those difficulties.
Nearly everyone faces challenges and difficulties in their life at some time. But sometimes they can be overwhelming and we feel like we are helpless. Stress over a job, anxiety caused by uncertainty over the future, loss because of bereavement, problems over addiction or difficulties in a relationship are just some of the reasons why people feel they can benefit by talking to a professional Counsellor or Psychotherapist.
When should you seek a Counsellor / Psychotherapist?
At various stages in your life, there are certain times when we may need help addressing problems and issues that cause us emotional distress or make us feel overwhelmed. When experiencing these types of difficulties, you may benefit from the assistance of an experienced, trained professional.
Professional Therapists offer caring, expert assistance that can help you identify your problems and assist you in finding the best ways to cope with them. This may involve changing behaviours that contribute to the problem or by finding constructive ways to deal with a situation that is beyond your personal control.
Therapists offer help in addressing many situations that cause emotional distress, including, but not limited to:
- Relationship difficulties (e.g. within families, with partners)
- Anxiety, Depression, Stress and other mental and emotional problems and disorders
- Bereavement – the death of a loved one
- Social and emotional difficulties related to disability and illness
- Addiction problems – e.g. alcohol and substance abuse, gambling and other addictions
- Sexual abuse and domestic violence
- Eating Disorders
- Career and job stress